Sunday, January 27, 2008

worth reading about Ledger...


Jumping on the bandwagon, subscribing to the hype, call it what you will. But hopefully you are reading this blog because you know me and therefore won't think that I am doing said jumping. I didn't feel the need to write about Ledger's death because I didn't know the guy. Don't get me wrong, watching him touring Graceland (with who I think was Naomi Watts) was awesome (a store better told than written). And after moving to Hollywood, I clung to my position that celebs ought to be left alone. After you see one in a grocery store, you realize that they are just people. People trying to earn a living, just like you and me. But I read Entertainment Weekly's article about Heath Ledger's death and was moved to tears. Many tears. I hesitate to say sobbing because that's just embarrassing. But from a somewhat fluffy magazine, this article (in last week's edition pictured above) just so eloquently summed up my feelings, and I suspect, the feelings of many many people about his death and others like it. Tyler subscribes for obvious reasons and I flip through it if I get time, and frankly am never impressed and would even go so far as to say the magazine as a whole is not a great work of journalism, bordering on tabloidesque recently for popularity. So you can imagine what I thought as a breathed a sigh of dread when seeing Ledger on the cover. But this article blew me away. Read it if you have felt anything, or very little about his death. My grandma said once that she has a shelf of things she can't explain that she's going to ask God about when the time comes. Ledger is on my shelf.

2 comments:

Tracy Lee V said...

I have a friend who said that she's going to ask God two questions when she gets to heaven: #1: What would I have looked like if I didn't exercise? and #2: What would I have looked like if I didn't use Oil of Olay?

A lighthearted response to a lovely blog. I'll look for the article, and would normally have skipped it out of disinterest. Thanks for the heads up.

Chrisk said...

we subscribed to that magazine because i had airplane points. i've never read so many pages and come away with nothing before.