Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Christmas with the Alders in SNOWY Minn.

Tyler and I flew to Minnesota on Wed, Dec 19 and were greeted with snow and cold. It was awesome and just so fun to actually see snow from the plane. We spent the holiday in Mankato, a small town south of the Twin Cities where my grandparents live. On the drive down there was a blizzard and the reasons for hating winter crept into my thoughts, but I dismissed them immediately, since I was in a snowy wonderland. As per tradition, Christmas Eve is spent EATING an array of platter full of cheese and crackers, fruit, veggies and dip, shrimp cocktail, and my mom's famous artichoke dip. Then we move on the Oyster Stew (a tradition dating back to my great-great-great grandparents) and Potato Leek Soup (for those of us who hate oysters, and a tradition we got from our trip to Ireland in 2001). After dinner we open gifts. Yes, we cheat. We open everything the night before. It's been that way since I was born and I love it. Christmas day we open stockings and have a crown roast meal with a little football on the side.

Tyler made a haul of DVDs.

My mom very excited about her Disneyland ornament from us.

Alex looking through the Apple book of football photos from his second championship year in a row.

My snow angel.

Tyler and I with my grandma Pete and grandpa Dean.

...and the snowy wonderland.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Next time you're in town you'll have to get in touch with me! I would love to catch up before the big reunion!