Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Citizen Kane on the big screen...aka Tyler was right.

"In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure-dome decree."

So Tyler and I saw Citizen Kane at the Arclight Theater in Hollywood last week. After five years of being with Tyler, I had managed to first try and watch this movie and fall asleep on several attempts and then second: avoid what I thought was an awful movie because I had fallen asleep so many times before.

But I could not avoid it any longer. The Arclight was presenting it at 8 pm (early enough for me to get through it, especially since I work from home and had no excuse for not napping beforehand). And so we went.

And Tyler was right. It was awesome! Seeing it big makes a world of difference. And I may be admitting a little stupidity when saying this, but seeing it with an audience makes a big difference too. They laughed at things that I didn't understand were funny in my solo attempts. And they were the most respectful audience. First you should know that, at the Arclight, if you talk, you literally get bounced. There is an announcement by a live person before each show. And that person's job is to stand in the hall during the show and bounce anyone who is talking or gets complained about talking! And second, this audience sat through all the credits, screen by screen (not rolling credits) and clapped for each one! It was so cool. Yeah, you've seen people clap after Spiderman (the first one, not the third), but this was a whole new level. And you could tell that even the people who got popcorn didn't want to chew it during the film. And it was neat that it was sold out.

Oh, and the movie itself was so cool, too. Orson is amazing. I contemplated Tyler's suggestion of naming our firstborn Orson during the movie. That is how good it was, because how cruel would it be to name a kid that!? Anyway, the shots are revolutionary and watching Orson Welles act is so much fun. I recommend it (on a big enough screen when it's dark enough to enjoy the black and white film) and I also recommend the special features and Ebert commentary either before or after. Orson Welles ended up prophesying his own autobiography with this movie. Fascinating.

Anyway, is it now my number one, like Tyler's? No. But it's pretty damn good. These are our ticket stubs!!

1 comment:

Tracy Lee V said...

Ok. I believe you. But I will raise my eyebrows if you name your son "Orson". That poor child would be KILLED on the playground.

:)

Yay for you liking Tyler's favorite movie! I had similar apprehension re: watching "Magnolia", Scott's favorite movie. There's so much pressure to like it because they are so ridiculously in love with it. The good news was that I liked Magnolia a lot. It's not my favorite movie, either, but I can see why he loves it.

Yay us!